The Chair of German was founded in 1936 to become the first foreign language chair at YSLU.
Since then it has trained many generations of teachers. Nowadays the Chair of German fulfills successfully the task of train and educate competitive and skilled professionals, which is widely based on the University Strategic Development Program, by meeting the challenges on the labour market, by taking its demands into consideration as well as high standards/ requirements put on the educational system and foreign languages. For realisation of these tasks the following related disciplines are taught: pedagogy, linguistics, area studies, European studies, political science, literature, and translation studies.
The lecturers of the Chair of German are highly qualified and skilled professionals. The staff attends many qualification courses in different German-speaking countries.
The Chair of German employs native speaker specialists, trainees and volunteers.
The first head of chair was G. Andreasyan, followed by M. Harutyunyan, S. Avetisyan, K. Atoyan, M Buyuklyan, and E. Ghazaryan.